v

The Chronology: Through the years from 1886 to today

2016

The company J. Sigel & Sohn celebrates its 130th Anniversary.

2011

The company J. Sigel & Sohn celebrates its 125th Anniversary. With numerous projects and the further training of employees and their SIGEL-competences, the company equips itself for the future.

1886

Johann Sigel and his friend Carl Haering founded the wholesale company, Haering Coating and Paint. The company was based in Paulinenstraße 16 now in the centre of Heilbronn.

1893

Due to the very active market, a separating of the founding company took place into the Coating Company Carl Haering and the Paint Wholesaler J. Sigel & Sohn. The company J. Sigel & Sohn was then led by Wilhelm Sigel and his father Johann Sigel.

1902

The death of Johann Sigel. His son Wilhelm Sigel continues to run the company alone. His brother came into the company but died in 1912.

1924

Wilhelm Sigel jr. enters the company as the eldest son of the the company founder Wilhelm Sigel senior. After a commercial training and technical university education, he begins to build up the production of  company coatings as well as as distribution channels to Austria and Switzerland. His brother Richard Sigel joins the company a few years later. Oil and house decorating paints are developed and produced.

1936

After surviving the 1930 economic crises, SIGEL-Coatings celebrates its 50th Anniversary. SIGEL produces paints mainly for the decorating branch.

1939

As a base in the south Germany area and the neighbouring countries, a branch in Ravensburg is founded.

1942

Development and production of water-glass camouflage paints for houses, bunkers and military facilities.

1944

In the last months of the war, on the 4th December, the family Sigel suffered a sudden shock. Not only was the complete company including the private residence destroyed by an air raid but also the company’s founder Wilhelm Sigel senior with his wife, the oldest granddaughter as well as a large number of experienced and long-term employees met their death.

1948

In rented space, the brothers Wilhelm and Richard Sigel start the arduous task of rebuilding the company. In November the plant is ready: in Paulinenstraße 16, production starts again.

1960

In the 50s and 60s , there were continuous expansions to the company building in Paulinenstrasse. Equally there was an expansion to the branch in Ravensburg to the outskirts of the town.

1962

Lutz Sigel, the son of Wilhelm junior, celebrates his start as coating engineer. On the 8th December 1962 he died in a traffic accident. Wilhelm Sigel continues to manage the company into a old age.

1973

The specialization towards industrial coatings develops strongly.

1975

Richard Sigel takes over the branch in Ravensburg and continues to manage it under the name “Farben Sigel“ (Coatings Sigel). Today, his sons Michael and Peter Sigel run the company.

1989

The takeover of the company by Eva Marlene Drauz, born Sigel, after the death of the father Wilhelm junior.

1995

After a construction period of only 11 months, the new pants is ready. SIGEL moves into the industrial park Böllinger Höfe. SIGEL develops itself to the most important industrial coating manufacturer in the south German area and supplies high-quality machine and construction machine branches as well as the automotive industry.

2008

Birgit Zeyer, granddaughter of Wilhelm Sigel and her husband Dr. Ulrich Zeyer as the fourth generation of the family take over the responsibility for the company and its future.

With our newest image film, we offer you an view behind the scenes of the coating company J.Sigel & Sohn GmbH